A car or truck crash, slip and fall, or another personal injury accident can leave you seriously hurt, unable to work, and wondering how you'll keep up with mounting medical and household debts.
If the accident that caused your injury was caused by another person or a company's negligence, you might have grounds for a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit.
However, what you do in the minutes, hours, days, and weeks that follow the accident can have a significant impact on your ability to collect compensation.
Here's what you can do to protect your right to a fair financial recovery:
- Gather evidence. This includes photos and videos of the accident scene, your injuries, any property damage, and contact information for involved drivers and witnesses. This type of evidence can be integral to building a strong case for compensation.
- See a doctor right away. Prompt medical attention protects both your physical health and the health of a future personal injury claim or lawsuit by ensuring that accident-related injuries are documented in your medical records.
- Continue your medical care. Following your doctor's treatment plan—including attending all scheduled follow-up visits—is essential to secure a successful outcome in your case.
- Document your accident-related expenses and other losses. Careful documentation is needed to ensure a fair recovery. Save all medical bills and receipts, property damage repair estimates or invoices, wage statements, and other relevant documents.
- Consult a knowledgeable personal injury attorney. An attorney will review your case, advise you about your rights and options, and help fight for the compensation you need and deserve.
Additionally, when it comes to protecting your rights, knowing what not to do after a personal injury accident can be just as important. For example, it's best to avoid:
- Apologizing at the accident scene.
- Providing an insurance adjuster for the at-fault party's insurance company with a recorded statement or broad medical release.
- Accepting an early settlement offer without first speaking with an attorney.
Request More Information
If you were hurt in a personal injury accident, the skilled attorneys with Rechtman & Spevak can help you fight for justice and compensation. Schedule an appointment for a free initial case consultation or request a free copy of our book, The Ultimate Guide to Accident Cases in Georgia, for additional information.