David B. Rechtman, Senior Partner of Rechtman & Spevak, has enjoyed 35 successful years litigating workers’ compensation and personal injury cases in Fulton County and throughout Georgia, during which he worked hard to protect the rights of those who have suffered because of another person’s negligence or because of unsafe working conditions. Throughout his career, Mr. Rechtman has provided legal counsel for over 3,000 individuals who sustained injuries in motor vehicle accidents or work accidents, defending them against the misconduct of insurance companies, and helping them pursue the medical benefits, disability benefits or settlement damages they deserved.
Before becoming the qualified personal injury and workers’ compensation lawyer he is today, Mr. Rechtman obtained an impressive education, and worked hard to secure the training and expertise he needed to practice law in Georgia. As a teen in Atlanta, Mr. Rechtman graduated from Henry Grady High School, and later attended the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. After receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics at the University of California, Berkeley, Mr. Rechtman obtained his Juris Doctor degree at UCLA School of Law in 1981.
As an adjunct professor at John Marshall Law School in Atlanta, Mr. Rechtman taught Georgia Workers’ Compensation Law. He has actively participated in planning Continuing Legal Education seminars for the Work Injury Law & Advocacy Group and the Atlanta Bar Association-Workers’ Compensation Section, where he served many years on the Board of Directors and eventually became Chair of the organization. Since 2010, Mr. Rechtman has served on the Georgia State Board of Workers’ Compensation Conference Advisory Council. In this capacity, he donates his time to planning and assisting legal education programs offered annually by the Georgia state agency regulating workers’ compensation. Mr. Rechtman has spoken of and written papers about work injury litigation, including topics like psychological injuries and job search requirements for injured workers.
Mr. Rechtman’s qualifications and legal experience don’t end there though. He is currently a member of the State Bar of Georgia, Atlanta Bar Association, Work Injury Law and Advocacy Group, Workers’ Compensation Claimants’ Lawyers, and the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association. He has also been a proud member of the American Bar Association and the American Trial Lawyers Association, which is also known as the American Association for Justice. Before forming his own law firm in 1987, Mr. Rechtman practiced in the firms of Wilson, Strickland and Benson, Siler and Jonap, and Berger and Rechtman, all of which represented clients in Georgia.
In 2014, Mr. Rechtman was named as one of the Nation’s Top 100 Injured Workers’ Attorneys by the Work Injury Law and Advocacy Group. In 2015, he was again named one of the Nation’s Top Injured Workers’ Attorneys by this national organization of attorneys representing injured workers. In 2021, Mr. Rechtman was selected to Super Lawyers, which is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Mr. Rechtman has been a resident in the metropolitan Atlanta area since 1963, and he is happily married with two daughters. He stays active in the East Cobb community, and has even served as President of a Cobb County Homeowner Association. Despite his busy schedule, Mr. Rechtman also makes sure he has time to volunteer for important causes like the Zaban Homeless Shelter, the Atlanta Community Food Bank and Temple Kol Emeth.
Areas of Practice
- 50% Workers Compensation
- 50% Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Georgia, 1981
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1989
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. – 1981
- University of California, Berkeley, California
- B.A. – 1976
- Major: Economics
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Adjunct Professor, John Marshall Law School-Atlanta, 1988 – 1989
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Workers' Injury Law & Advocacy Group (WILG), Continuing Legal Education Committee, 2010, 2015
- State Board of Workers’ Compensation, Steering Committee 2011 - Present
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group (WILG), Member, 2005 – Present
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association (GTLA), Member, 1993 – Present
- Atlanta Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section, Chair, 1999 – 2001
- Atlanta Bar Association, Advanced Workers’ Compensation Legal Education Seminar, Chair/Chief Planner, 1998, 1999
- Atlanta Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section, Board of Directors
- State Board of Workers’ Compensation, Past Speaker & Moderator
- Atlanta Bar Association, Past Speaker & Moderator
Awards and Recognition
- Top Injured Workers Attorney, Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group (WILG), 2016
- America’s Leading Attorneys Representing Injured Workers, Workers’ Injury Law and Advocacy Group (WILG), 2015
- Nation’s Top 100 Injured Workers’ Attorneys, Workers’ Injury Law and Advocacy Group (WILG), 2014
- 30 Years of Service, LexisNexis Martindale Hubbell, 1981-2011
- Super Lawyers, 2021
- U.S. News
Client Review of David
"Long story short.... When I came here I was a mess! Didnt know anything about law or being injured. However, not only did Attorney Rechtman take time to speak with me, he never kept me from knowing the whole picture. The firm gave me a sense of support. I could call if I wanted. If he wasn't available he would get back to me in a timely fashion. He even knew my bad days and could take time and patience to guide me. I will never forget Attorney Rechtman and his firm for how they changed my life! I learned a lot through the process and no one else could take his place. Thank you Attorney Rechtman & Spevak!"
Written by: Alvina Martinez
about Rechtman & Spevak
Date published: 10/01/2018
Overall rating: ★★★★★ based on 18 reviews